Monday, November 13, 2006

The New Medill Dean, Indeed

There is one primary reason I decided to sign on when I got Andy's invitation. That is, of course, the Dean John Lavine/Medill 2020 cataclysm that has taken place over the past year. The school's abrupt change of course and its uncertain direction, enunciated in only the most ambiguous prose, has left hundreds of students, alumni, and other journalists scratching their heads.

I hope we can bring a discussion of these issues to the public with this site. I propose an "On Medill" category for the blog, in which "NU Media People" will turn a critical eye on the institution from which most of us hold degrees. I was asked by a reporter soon after the announcement that Lavine would become dean whether there was "cause for concern." After some thought, I said, "I don't know if there is cause for concern, but I know that people are concerned." In that spirit, let's gather some information, maybe even do some good old-fashioned reporting, and get to the bottom of this change.

First, a disclosure: I was serving on Medill's Curriculum Committee as an undergraduate student representative when Lavine took the helm. That committee stopped meeting for the rest of the academic year, and I don't know whether it has been reinstated. I then served as a member of Lavine's "Advisory Council" before he released his vision publicly. Because of the nature of those groups, I will generally withhold information I gained there. I learned nothing in that environment that shouldn't be accessible without that access, and I would like to maintain a bit of distance from my own advisory service.

I'll start by posting a few of the stories out there on the issue. Happy reading:

  • The Vision for Medill 2020 – This document outlines Lavine's vision, which emerged some weeks after he took over as dean. It is a written document, not an interview, and many have told me the charts the dean uses here appear regularly in his presentations to outside groups.

  • CJR's story, "The Magician" – Less fawning than the title might suggest, this story gives a good deal of background that we might not otherwise encounter. A highly recommended read for those who haven't seen it.

  • The Mystery Of Medill's Missing Macs – A Daily story on Lavine's decision to switch to Windows computers. The story got Romeneskoed. A friend mentions that this change makes design Prof. Susan Mango Curtis' job incredibly trying, as layout and design happen on Apple operating systems almost 100 percent of the time.

  • "The Medill School of Media Management?" from the Chicago Reader – From December 2005, this story contains comments from a Medill alumni listserv (who knew?) and an anonymous faculty member.

  • Inside Higher Ed's December story – On balance a positive story, this includes comment from Lee Ettleman, who served on the advisory council with me.

8 comments:

Andrew said...

This is a logical post and category for the site, tho I think we must come up with something funnier than "On Medill."

Some actual thoughts from me later...

Graham said...

I pride myself on being unfunny.

Scott said...

Well, I knew something was wrong with Lavine when he sent out a huge canned Q&A. To a listserv of journalism students. And when he held those town-hall meetings and answered every question with bizarre abstractions, it was pretty frustrating. I was thinking, well, this guy doesn't seem to have a firm plan at all, and when he does, it probably won't be that great. I've found that the stuff he wants us to pay him to teach is usually fairly easy to learn on the job--who among us hasn't already learned at least two or three blog platforms? I'll have more talk about this later.

Nice to hear from you, Graham! I haven't seen you since Cozy caught on fire. Hope you're well.

Scott said...

Also: I think I have a tape somewhere of that Q&A session. If you're interested, I can try and dig it up and find some of the stranger moments.

Here's my main problem: I think what was most lacking in the curriculum was an understanding of how to work with all the different people one has to work with in the newsroom. Most of the classes I took had a very isolated focus on specific tasks--which you have to have, obviously, but I think everything I learned about working with designers, copy editors, etc., came from the Daily and not at all from my classes. I just think that ethic of being considerate to everyone in the editorial chain is important, and I'm not sure Medill instills it. Lavine didn't seem to have any helpful thoughts on it. He talks a lot about convergence and learning how to use video cameras and iPods, but that doesn't change the fact that you're still going to rely on other people to edit that stuff and present it just-so.

Andrew said...

I read this articles, and here's what I think.

I actually don't feel that strongly about Lavine either way, because I'm out of the Medill loop and I haven't met him.

But I think chasing the "light reader" is a losing game. No one is succeeding in business now by producing a product that is all things to all people. Business are succeeding by finding and exploiting niches that were not exploitable in previous years. So I don't understand why every local paper wants to pretend that anyone relies on them for national news, or that anyone under 35 is actually still picking them up for the stock prices or TV schedules or the comics. I can go online and get all those things, but better. The only thing that I absolutely cannot get online that I can get from the local paper is a group of people with the expertise and interest with the processes that govern my community who can write well enough to explain it to me. And that's what they cut, every time.

What they ought to be doing is taking the only unique thing they have in the market and develop a business model that connects them with the consumers who will keep them in business. But I'd be glad to hear disagreement.

Andrew said...

argh, typo in my first sentence.

:: goes to editorial purgatory ::

Alabaster said...

I'm a Medill Grad Student, currently living through the Medill 2020 rollout. It's been....disappointing thus far, to see how disorganized and purposeless everyone here seems at times. Our teachers seem to understand that a big change is happening, but they don't seem to understand what this change might be. Thus they shrug their shoulders a lot and tell us to "ask the Dean" when we ask questions about some of Medill's recent mission statements.

A few weeks into my first quarter, we had a sit-down with the Dean. We peppered him with questions about the curriculum.

Why had we bought $4000 in media/tech when none of our teachers expected us to use it?

Would the RPA's be changing at all downtown?

Is this going to help us get better jobs?

He more or less dodged around all of these questions without answering them. It was really disheartening. Honestly, I didn't care so much that he has ideas about journalism that I disagree with. that's fine. I was really depressed to learn that the head guy at Medill is the kind of guy who won't give straight answers to his own students. that was depressing....

Alabaster said...

Also,

A few grad students started up a Blog to publish stories written during the intro quarter at Medill:

http://www.methodsreporter.com

When the site was in full flight back in the fall it was pulling in a few thousand visitors a day....

Surprisingly enough, every Medill professor or faculty member I spoke to about it greeted it with suspicion or outright forced disinterest. Another bummer....

there are some nice stories on there though!